Installing Tar.exe on Server 2016
Microsoft has decided to release tar.exe for Windows and when I went looking I couldn’t find instructions any where on how to copy it over to Server 2016. My normal trick of copying the .exe and any associated .dll files over did not work for some reason.
What did work however is placing tar.exe in just about any other location and then adding that location to my system %PATH%.
- Copy tar.exe and archiveint.dll from C:\Windows\System32 on a Windows Server 2019 or Windows 10 machine running at least build 17063.
- Place the file in your desired location. I put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tar
- Add the folder you placed it into from step #2 to your %PATH%.
- Start > Run > sysdm.cpl > OK
- Click the “Advanced” tab at the top and then the “Evironmental Variables” button at the bottom